Saturday, 5 March 2016

Interview with Josie Kardashian


Monika: Today it is my pleasure and honour to interview Miss Josie Kardashian, a young American YouTube sensation that documents her transition in front of thousands on the Internet. Hello Josie!
Josie: Hello Doll!
Monika: Could you say a few words about yourself?
Josie: Well I’m 16, and LOVE to make YouTube videos about my life as a transgender teen. A few words I might use to describe myself are: pretty, ambitious, confident, and lastly… ONE OF A KIND!
Monika: Your growing YouTube channel is becoming very popular. You answer many questions about your transition. What has been the strangest question that you have ever answered?
Josie: I think a lot of the considered “strange” questions I get asked are very inappropriate. But I mean one of the more age appropriate so called “strange” questions I’ve been asked quite a few times before is “Why are you so beautiful?”
I find this commonly asked question to be very strange because I firmly believe beauty lies within. I don’t think beauty is determined by your physical appearance whatsoever.


Monika: Why did you decide to share your transition details on YouTube?
Josie: I decided to start sharing my transition on YouTube, because I could remember back before I transitioned, at the time, I felt a certain unexplained way. I felt like I didn’t fit in anywhere. I felt extremely weird. I felt like I had nobody to relate to. And I can remember one day finally finding someone on YouTube in which I could relate to on many different levels of my life. It felt so good being able to know there was someone out there who was going through exactly what I was. And that is exactly why I started my YouTube channel.
Contrary to popular belief I choose to make YouTube videos because I truly do love being a role model for many different people. I love the interaction. YouTube has opened so many doors for me. I know when I was younger I definitely could have used someone like myself to look up to. As I said, back before I transitioned I felt like I had nobody to relate to. It wasn’t a good feeling. In fact, I don’t wish that feeling upon anyone, therefore why I continue to make YouTube videos, along with sharing my life as a transgender teen.
Photography with a Trace.
Photo by Tracy Stambaugh.
Monika: What do you think about the present situation of transgender women in your country?
Josie: I feel very mixed emotions about the present situation of transgender women in my country. I feel as though these women whom are currently in the media for being transgender, lead a very different life compared to someone who doesn’t live their life in the media, making lots of money every single day. It’s no doubt being transgender isn’t cheap whatsoever, therefore I personally believe someone with lots of money, and lavish things shouldn’t be in the media for being transgender.
I personally believe it gives a very unauthentic essence of life as a transgender person simply because not every person’s transition is like that, where they can afford their hormones and all of their surgeries. With having said all of this, that doesn’t at all mean that these women aren’t doing great things along with helping so many people.
I think every transgender person is beautiful in their own special way and I wish everyone the best of luck in their transition. It just saddens me to see the media always twisting and warping America's perception of what life is like as a transgender person.
Monika: At what age did you begin to transition into a woman yourself?
Josie: I began transitioning at the very young age of 13. I feel like I definitely just really reached a certain point in my life when I completely stopped caring about what people were saying about me, because in the long run, my internal happiness and mental, emotional sanity are far more important.
Monika: Are there are any transgender ladies that you admire and respect now?
Josie: I would have to say someone in which I have a lot of respect for is Caitlyn Jenner. I find her to be so beautiful and very inspiring. I’ve idolized the Kardashian/Jenner family for YEARS! I can remember watching KUWTK when I was in 5th grade, feeling such a connection to that family. Here we are 5 years later and now I know exactly why!
Photo by Tricia Harvey.
Monika: Do you like fashion? What kind of outfits do you usually wear? Any special fashion designs, colours or trends?
Josie: OF COURSE GIRL! I LOVE FASHION! I would say my wardrobe changes throughout the course of the year. In the summer and spring I like bright tops with jean shorts or a maxi skirt with some sandals and maybe sleek straight hair or a messy updo.
And in the winter and fall time of the year I really love big oversized sweaters and hoodies with some leggings and uggs or a flannel with some skinny jeans and some wavy hair.
But I personally think no matter what time of the year I think it’s essential to wear something that makes you feel BEAUTIFUL! 
Monika: Could you tell me about the importance of love in your life?
Josie: I think love is a very important aspect needed to live happily as a transgender person. I think love is important because I feel especially as transgender people we can tend to get down on ourselves very easily. We can begin to feel like we’re nothing and like we aren’t worthy of anyone and or anything. It’s always necessary to have someone expressing their love towards you. Not only is it important for friends and family to express their love towards you…
I also believe it is highly important that we show love to ourselves. I know personally I love myself a lot. I went so long in my life when I just hated myself. I hated being me. I hated waking up and living in my own body. After years of feeling like that, I finally came to realization that I was only given 1 lifetime. 1 chance to do whatever I want in the world. 1 chance to live, laugh, and love. Which made me realize that I’m going to be stuck in this body forever. I can’t change whom I am, I can only love and embrace it. 
Monika: Many transgender ladies write their memoirs. Have you ever thought about writing such a book yourself?
Josie: I actually have, It’s definitely something that has crossed my mind a few times. I think writing a book would be cool, but in my opinion that seems like kind of half-assing things. As I said writing a book on my life would be cool, but having an entire lifetime movie made on my life would be even cooler. The possibilities are ENDLESS!!!


Monika: Are you working on any new projects now?
Josie: I am currently not working on anything. I think one major goal I’ve set for myself before 2017 is to land myself a reality show. It’s always been a dream of mine and I think with my ambition and the support of my lovely followers I can make it happen.
Monika: What would you recommend to all transgender girls struggling with gender dysphoria?
Josie: To keep it real… Fuck what anyone says, live your life to the fullest and live out your wildest dreams. LOVE YOURSELF AND KNOW THAT YOU’RE BEAUTIFUL! INSIDE AND OUT!
Monika: Josie, thank you for the interview!

All the photos: courtesy of Josie Kardashian.
Done on 5 March 2016
© 2016 - Monika 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...