Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Interview with Tammy Powers

Tammie Powers

Tammy Powers chose to rebuild her life on two wheels, with a bicycle shop, a sharp sense of humor, and an unwavering determination to help others. A businesswoman, part-time stand-up comedian, dog lover, vegetarian lasagna enthusiast, and transgender activist, Tammy created A Tran’s Bay Bike Shop on Treasure Island in San Francisco Bay. Her journey to becoming a business owner was far from easy. Her transition cost her both her job and her home, and there was a time when she was homeless. Yet when asked whether she ever regretted transitioning, her answer was immediate: “Not for a second. Ever.”
 
For Tammy, the bike shop is about much more than bicycles. She dreams of making it a place where other transgender people can find employment and opportunity, believing that sometimes the best way to make sure there is a job for you is to build the job yourself. Her TRANART crowdfunding project reflected that same spirit, turning the dull walls of her shop into an opportunity for professional mural artists to share their work. Then there is comedy. Tammy discovered stand-up while homeless, using laughter as a kind of therapy and a way to momentarily escape her troubles. Her humor sits alongside a fierce belief in community, mutual support, and the importance of standing together when society does not always stand with you. Her story is ultimately one of courage, resilience, entrepreneurship, laughter, and hope. And as Tammy herself puts it, no matter how difficult things become, “the sun is gonna rise tomorrow.”
 
Monika: Hello Tammy, thank you so much for joining me today!
Tammy: Hi, thank you for contacting me. I’m glad you want to ask me some questions about me and my bicycle shop, A Tran’s Bay Bike Shop.
Monika: How would you describe yourself?
Tammy: Sure, I’m a businesswoman, part-time stand-up comedian, helpful, sincere, trustworthy, tenacious, a lover of dogs, and I make the best vegetarian lasagna you ever had.
 
 
Monika: Tell me about your TRANART project. It has been getting quite a bit of attention recently.
Tammy: TRANART is my crowdfunding project on RocketHub. In the historic building that my bike shop is in, I’m at “garden level,” which basically means the basement. The walls are dull down here, so I found some mural artists who would love to share their artwork. They are professional artists who need to be compensated for their time and their art supplies, so I put my plan into action and created TRANART. I want to make the walls pretty where my bike shop is, simple as that.
 
TRANART project
 
Monika: Does it feel like your bike shop has been a success so far?
Tammy: Success is relative. I’m grateful that I’m no longer sleeping on the sidewalk, and I hope to be able to move out of my shop and rent a room someday soon. But my real success can’t be measured until I am able to hire other transgender people and improve their lives. Until I start hiring other trans people, any “success” I might gain ought to be considered selfish.
 
In front of a gay flag
In front of a gay flag.
 
Monika: What kind of bikes have been the most popular this year?
Tammy: LOL, rentals! My shop is on Treasure Island, which is in San Francisco Bay. One of the funniest times a person can have is renting a bike and biking around this island, enjoying the most spectacular views of the Golden Gate Bridge.
Monika: On top of everything else, you’re also a stand-up comedian.
Tammy: I use comedy as therapy. I started doing it when I was homeless in order to force myself to forget about my troubles for a while. It’s difficult to be sad when you put yourself in front of an audience and they want you to make them laugh.
Monika: You’re hoping to hire as many transgender people as possible so others avoid the hardships you went through. Do you think more companies should follow that example?
Tammy: Don’t hold your breath waiting for big companies to start hiring a large percentage of trans people. Nor is the government going to step in and require anyone to specifically hire trans people.
It goes without saying I’m looking to hire as many trans people as possible; we have to look out for each other. Because, believe me when I tell you, ain’t nobody lookin’ out for us. Also, I hope I might inspire other trans people to start their own businesses. The best way to make sure there is a job for you is to build the job yourself.
Monika: Your transition cost you your job and your home. Have you ever regretted going through with it?
Tammy: Not for a second. Ever.
 
In front of the shop
In front of the shop.
 
Monika: Did you have any transgender role models to look up to when you were transitioning?
Tammy: Someone who I never met and don’t know who she was. I had just begun my transformation and was living in Colorado at the time. I was getting my hormones from the Stout Street Clinic in Denver, which does handle trans patients properly but is not a trans-only clinic. I was alone and doing this all by myself; I was scared out of my mind.
While waiting for my prescription, I noticed another trans woman walk into the clinic. She must’ve been about 6’8”, minimum, very, very tall. But she walked in and kept her head held high. It was obvious others were whispering about her, but she didn’t mind them the least.
It was a big lesson for me that day. I still get watery-eyed thinking about how much courage she had, to be so tall and still transform. I told myself if she could do it and keep her composure, I could too. Big lesson.
Monika: How do you see the current situation for transgender women in American society?
Tammy: Well, in America, I believe we have it better than some other countries where a person can be arrested and sentenced to death. And although San Francisco is top notch for providing health care and hormones for trans people, we still have a long way to go to reach equality. This is why it is so important for each trans person to do the best they can and for us to help each other at all times. It bothers me when I see two transgender people arguing with each other. Ugh, if we don’t have each other’s back, no one else will.
 
Oakland pride smile
Oakland pride smile.
 
Monika: Do you see transgender rights as the next frontier in the fight for human rights?
Tammy: Not sure about the “new” frontier, more like the final frontier. It seems like everyone else is recognized and granted their rights, except for the trans community.
I can’t imagine anyone else in our current times being so open to dehumanizing treatment by society. Aren’t they just now ending the “trans panic” defense to murder? Which was, and is, a “defense” that declares that because of who a trans person is, they’re allowed to be beaten to death. Wow.
Monika: Are you politically active in any way, through lobbying or otherwise? Do you think transgender women can make a real difference in politics?
Tammy: Myself, I’m more directly involved with bicycle advocacy. Anyone can make a difference where they want to see change, and I’m much more of a businesswoman than a politician. So I’m covering the complaint of “there need to be more trans business owners.” But the fact that more trans men and trans women need to be in elected public office is an understatement.
Monika: What role does love play in your life?
Tammy: Love is everything. A life without love is not worth living. I’m not in love with anyone at this time in my life, but I still have love for everyone. 
Monika: Are you into fashion? What kind of style do you usually go for?
Tammy: I do like fashion and wish I could afford really nice things to wear, but at this time in my life, I am unashamedly a thrift-store shopping kind of girl. So my fashion is unique to myself, much like the rest of my life. If I think it looks good, and if it doesn’t make me itch, then I don’t mind having it around.
 
Tammy on Miss Teen
Tammy on Miss Teen.
 
Monika: A lot of transgender women end up writing memoirs. Has that ever crossed your mind?
Tammy: At times. But my bike shop is first and foremost for me right now, which takes just about all my time. And when I do have a moment to relax, I love doing stand-up comedy at open mic nights in the city.
Monika: What’s next for you, and where do you see yourself in five to seven years?
Tammy: Right now, I’m completing the fund-raising with TRANART, so depending on how much I get from that will determine the path of my shop this summer. In five years from now, I would like to have my second and third shops and be the number one employer for trans people in the entire Bay Area.
Monika: What advice would you give to transgender girls considering a career in entertainment?
Tammy: Believe in yourself, even if no one else does. Don’t be afraid to fail. And no matter how difficult times get, always remember, the sun is gonna rise tomorrow!
Monika: Tammy, thank you so much for this interview!
 
All the photos: courtesy of Tammy Powers.
© 2014 - Monika Kowalska

back-button

No comments:

Post a Comment