Born in New York City in 1952, Dana Beyer first built an impressive career in medicine and science. A graduate of Cornell University and the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, she became a physician and surgeon and devoted part of her professional life to research into human sexuality and public health. Yet her journey would eventually take her in another direction, one shaped not only by her professional knowledge but also by her own deeply personal experience. Dana began her transition at the age of forty, embarking on a journey that required courage and a willingness to embrace an uncertain future. She had spent decades studying questions of sex and gender, both personally and professionally, but, as is so often the case for transgender people, knowledge alone could not make that first step any easier.
What followed was the beginning of a new chapter in her life, one in which she found the strength to live openly
and authentically. She went on to become a passionate advocate for transgender and LGBT civil rights, bringing
her experience, intelligence, and determination into the political arena. At a time when transgender people were
still struggling to make their voices heard, Dana became part of a generation determined to ensure that the “T”
in LGBT would no longer remain silent. In this interview, Dana speaks openly about her transition, her fears and
hopes, her remarkable professional journey, and her work for transgender equality. She also reflects on the
pioneers who made her own journey possible and on the enormous changes she has witnessed during her lifetime.
Above all, this is a conversation with a woman who found the courage to become herself and who has since devoted
much of her life to helping create a better and more hopeful world for those who follow.
Monika: Today it is my pleasure and honor to interview Dana Beyer, an American transgender advocate, the
executive director of Gender Rights Maryland, a civil rights and advocacy organization supporting Maryland's
transgender community. She is also a columnist at HuffPost and a Democrat politician, and today we will be
talking about the role of transgender women in US politics. Hello Dana!
Dana: Hi Monika! Good to speak with you today.
Monika: Your career has taken you through quite a few different fields. Could you walk me through how it all
developed?
Dana: I've had a few, actually. I've been a physician and surgeon. I've done research on endocrine disruptors and
human sexuality, as well as other public health issues. Then there's been my work as an LGBT and trans civil
rights activist.
Monika: Turning to advocacy, what would you say are the biggest issues on the transgender agenda right now?
Dana: The main issue facing many trans persons in the US today is still making a life after transition. Even with
federal employment protections, people find it hard to manage in a generally ignorant and, unfortunately, still
hostile world. Persons of color are still targeted for assault and murder. Health care is hard to come by, though
we've seen major improvements on that front.
Identification is easier to revise. There are more trained health care practitioners serving trans persons today
than ever before, including a growing number serving children and adolescents. One national issue is that trans
persons are still not allowed to serve openly in the US military, though we're hopeful that with the recent
removal of gender dysphoria as an official mental illness from the psychiatric bible known as the DSM 5, that
situation will change.
Monika: Back in 2012 you were part of "Trans United for Obama", a national group of transgender people, their
supporters, allies, families, and friends that worked to re-elect President Obama. What was it like organizing
that effort?
Dana: A number of people, including the trans delegates to the Democratic National Convention, banded together to
raise money to support the President's re-election.
Various people took different organizing activities upon themselves, including a presence at Pride festivals and
social media exposure, but the primary focus was fundraising to raise awareness that the trans community was an
integral part of the LGBT community. Money talks, and trans persons raised over $100,000 for the President's
campaign.
Monika: Looking back, how would you describe the Obama administration's attitude towards transgender Americans?
Dana: Remarkable. The administration has done more for the trans community than for the gay community, though we
did start off from a position of much greater need. There has been little hesitation on the administration's part
to engage with us, and they have created an America where we can now feel we are heard and respected.
Monika: You followed the last presidential campaign quite closely. Did you notice any real difference in the way
Republicans and Democrats addressed the needs and rights of the transgender community?
Dana: The Republican party ignores the trans community. There are very few trans persons who are members, and even
fewer compared to their gay membership.
Fortunately, during the presidential campaign, the Republicans ignored trans issues. The President came out for
marriage equality in May, and there was little talk about LGBT issues on the national stage after that.
Surprising, but very positive.
Monika: American politics runs on interest groups pursuing their own specific goals. Where would you place the
transgender community's success in that game?
Dana: We're doing better, both in and out of coalitions. We get along better with the gay community, though we
don't have nearly enough resources, and the gay community is primarily focused on marriage rights. Today, more
progressive allies sign on to trans civil rights legislation on the state and local level, and recently we've made
significant efforts to work for a comprehensive immigration bill in Congress.
Monika: The transgender cause usually appears alongside the other LGBT communities. Being the last letter in
that abbreviation, has the transgender community managed to promote its own cause within the LGBT group?
Dana: We've been doing that for years now, and the "T" is not as silent as it once was. I'm hopeful that with
increased federal and judicial focus on the issue of gender expression, mainstream LGBT groups will shift
perspective from sexual orientation to gender expression and work more closely with us to advance all of our
rights.
Monika: Harvey Milk became the face of gay activism in the 60s and 70s. Is there anyone in American transgender
society whose actions could be compared to his?
Dana: Interesting question. People believe Harvey was the first openly gay elected official of any significance,
but that isn't the case. He was, I believe, the fourth, but he was very charismatic and became known nationwide
for his efforts. There has yet to be a trans analog to Harvey in the political world.
Monika: Stepping back for a moment, how would you sum up the present situation of transgender women in American
society?
Dana: The major point I would make is one of generational change. What was very difficult for women of my
generation is much easier today for the millennials. It's thrilling to see how much better life is today for young
trans persons, for children, teens, and young adults.
Monika: Here's a bold one for you. Do you think we could live to see the day when a transgender lady becomes US
President?
Dana: No (LOL). We first need to see a state legislator or councilwoman, then maybe a mayor or Congresswoman.
Monika: Let's turn to your own story now. At what age did you transition into a woman? Was it a difficult
process, did you have support from family or friends, and did it have any impact on your career?
Dana: I began transitioning at 40, finished at 50. The difficulty was finding my courage, and once I came out, I
lost very few family or friends. I had retired before transition, so I had an opportunity to create a new career
from scratch. It wasn't easy, but I persevered and succeeded.
Monika: Did you have any transgender role models to look up to at that time, and how much did you actually know
about transgenderism itself?
Dana: I had many role models, and felt I could transition because of the path blazed by those before me. Lynn
Conway with her "Successful Trans Women" pages,
Calpernia Addams, Marci Bowers,
Donna Rose, Amanda Simpson,
Riki Wilchins, Georgina Beyer, and many, many others.
As far as my knowledge goes, I had voraciously studied the issue of sex and gender since I was in high school, so
I had 40 years of independent study, both as a physician and as a scientist.
Monika: Looking back, what was the hardest part of coming out?
Dana: Being willing to embrace the uncertainty of living in the world as a woman, having had no experience of
doing so.
Monika: Have you ever been married? And more broadly, what role has love played in your life?
Dana: Yes, twice. Love is, and has always been, important. It's one of the key attributes that makes us human. For
me, it was hard to love and be loved not as who I truly was, but as who I was pretending to be. That is no longer
the case.
Monika: A lot of transgender women end up writing memoirs. Has that idea ever crossed your mind?
Dana: I have, and it's sitting in my agent's office waiting for the hook I need to get it published.
Monika: After everything, would you say you're a happy woman today?
Dana: I had that discussion with a friend this morning, a talk about the meaning of happiness. Americans place a
very high value on "the pursuit of happiness."
Everything became worthwhile when I had completed my transition, and I have lived an authentic life with integrity
every day since I began my journey. I enjoy my work, I look forward to greater success both personally and for my
children, and I have no regrets. From that perspective, I think you can define the whole package as suffused with
happiness.
Monika: Dana, thank you for the interview!
All the photos: courtesy of Dana Beyer.
© 2013 - Monika Kowalska
No comments:
Post a Comment