Arianna Lint is a Peruvian-born transgender activist and advocate living in Florida. She is the Director of SunServe’s Transgender Services Department and co-president of the Translatin@ Coalition, where she works to improve the lives of transgender people, particularly transgender Latin American immigrants in the United States. Through her work, Arianna addresses the many challenges faced by transgender people, including discrimination, barriers to employment, difficulties accessing healthcare, and social exclusion. She believes that advocacy must go hand in hand with practical support, education, and the creation of safe spaces where transgender people can find understanding and assistance.
At SunServe, Arianna is developing the Surviving & Thriving programme, which provides advocacy, education, case management, mental health services, and support groups for transgender individuals. Her work with the Translatin@ Coalition also focuses on developing strategies to improve the quality of life of transgender Latin American immigrants and ensuring that their particular needs and experiences are represented in wider discussions about equality and human rights. Beyond her professional responsibilities, Arianna is working on her memoirs, hoping to share her personal experiences and offer encouragement to others facing similar struggles. She believes that being true to oneself is essential, even when the journey is difficult, and emphasizes the importance of finding supportive people who can help make that journey easier. Through her activism and community work, she hopes to contribute to a world in which transgender people can live openly, safely, and with dignity.
Monika: Arianna, welcome, and thank you for joining me today!
Arianna: Hello Monika, and thank you for giving me the opportunity to be on your blog; I am honored.
Monika: To begin, how would you introduce yourself in a few words?
Arianna: I am a very happy and blessed person at this time of my life.
Monika: Translatin@ Coalition is an organization many readers may not know yet. What is its goal?
Arianna: Our goal and mission are to advocate for the specific needs of Trans Latin@ immigrants who reside in the US and to plan advocacy strategies that would improve our quality of life.
Monika: You have worked in transgender advocacy for many years. What challenges do transgender people in the USA face today?
Arianna: I’m proud to be transgender, but it is not easy. However, I do feel that we have a tremendous impact on everyone in the United States and around the world. I do believe that the time is right for us as a community to make our voices heard. Change is upon us, especially in the United States, where we see acceptance from the likes of Miss Universe, and Dancing with the Stars featured a transgender celebrity as one of its participants. Recently an Oscar was awarded to an actor who portrayed a cross-dressing character in the movie ‘Dallas Buyers Club.’ These are just a few examples of the impact we are making as a community, which inspires me to represent our community and have our voices heard while demonstrating how proud we are to be who we are.
| In "Amores de mi Vida". (YouTube) |
Monika: One article I read recently claimed that transgender people in the USA struggle with some of the lowest rates of acceptance, even within the LGBT community, and that only 2 percent of transgender Americans have a full-time job with benefits.
Arianna: That’s correct, Monika! Currently, only 5% of the transgender community living in the United States has decent jobs and benefits, and we have to change that! We are part of the world community, we exist, and we need respect and dignity! We have to educate the broader community about the transgender community before someone passes judgment on us. We are SURVIVORS!
Monika: The law should be a safeguard here. How well are transgender people protected at the moment?
Arianna: Did you know that there is no federal law to protect us? There are 33 states where you can be FIRED for being transgender! On July 15th I am excited to travel to Washington DC for ‘Transgender Lobby Day’ at the White House. We need more laws to protect us.
Monika: For transgender immigrants coming to the USA, the situation seems to be even worse.
Arianna: Monika, you are amazing with your questions!!! Yes, it is worse! We face a lot of discrimination and a lack of understanding about gender identity as immigrants who are transgender.
Monika: How does immigration law treat transgender people at present?
Arianna: GENDER IDENTITY has to be included in immigration reform. Since 2005 my immigration status has been “NAME WITHHOLDING and REMOVED,” which is similar to almost all transgender immigrants. What this means is that while I (we) are allowed to work in the United States, we cannot claim residency, which puts transgender immigrants at a disadvantage. As the law stands now, there are no options to change my status. This means I have to renew my license and my work permit every year, even while I pay taxes, like any other citizen of the United States.
Monika: Has anyone studied these experiences more closely?
Arianna: Translatina Coalition just participated in a study with the University of Minnesota on transgender immigration. This important study will provide real-life examples of what transgender immigrants face when coming to the United States and how we can create awareness and change. The study is available online at translatinacoalition.org.
Monika: Many would call your story a success story. Which elements of your experience could other trans immigrants draw on?
Arianna: I am proud of my Peruvian heritage, and at an early age I learned how the ‘INKAS’ guided us to strive for a perfect society: work hard and be trustworthy. Three words in Quechua that I identify with are these. Ama llulla means “don’t be a liar.” I am who I am, and I have never lied to anybody about myself and my gender identity. Ama quella means “don’t be lazy,” so I work hard regardless of anyone’s bigotry and hatred. Ama sua means “don’t steal,” so I never take advantage of others or steal, even when I am being mistreated.
Monika: Thinking back to the time of your transition, did you have any transgender role models to follow?
Arianna: When I was six years old, I remember watching Miss Brazil on TV present Roberta Close, a Brazilian transgender woman who wanted to participate in Miss Brazil but was not allowed to because she was transgender. When I saw her on TV, I knew that I wanted to be like her. She was my role model!
Monika: And who inspires you today?
Arianna: As I have grown older, my role model is my best friend Monica Roberts. Monica writes the Transgriot blog and has helped open my eyes to the reality facing the transgender community in the United States. Personally, I think we need to have more TRANSGENDER ROLE MODELS so that others in the community can feel comfortable and have someone to talk to on a regular basis. We are not what people think about us. We are great individuals, we are great daughters, we are great workers, and that’s very important.
Monika: Coming out is rarely easy. What was the hardest part for you?
Arianna: At first, the hardest part of coming out was internal: how to accept myself and own who I am in a world that is not accepting, which is difficult when you realize who you really are.
Monika: Turning to your home country, how would you describe the present situation of transgender women in Peruvian society?
Arianna: One of the reasons that I left Peru was because I did not feel safe. Even after 14 years, there is still no change. Transgender people and the LGBT community have no rights in Peru. Inclusion is not acceptable in Peru.
Currently, there is a nationwide discussion on how to block Civil Unions in Peru. The climate for equality in Peru is difficult, almost nonexistent. In Peru, homosexuality is still considered a psychological disease. This is why it is so important for the United States and other welcoming countries to accept us as immigrants!
Monika: Some say transgender rights may be the new frontier for human rights. What is your view?
Arianna: Vice President Biden is on record as saying that Transgender is a civil right! I truly believe it is more than that; it is about human rights! There is a part of society that thinks being transgender is like being a second-class citizen, and that is wrong! The law should reflect the needs of everyone, not just a select few.
Monika: A few weeks ago, Jared Leto received the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor for playing the transgender character Rayon in “Dallas Buyers Club.” How do you feel about the way transgender stories and characters have been portrayed in films, newspapers, and books so far?
Arianna: While I respect Jared Leto’s talents as an actor, the role he represented in the film was Hollywood’s interpretation of who the industry thinks we are. It is great that Hollywood brought trans issues to the public, but the public is better served with an accurate portrayal of what it is really like to be a transgender individual. The story would have had more impact if the role had been played by a transgender actress.
| In the Honor41.org List. (YouTube) |
Monika: The transgender cause is usually presented together with the rest of the LGBT community. As the last letter in the abbreviation, is the T able to promote its own cause within the group?
Arianna: Yes, the ‘T’ is now being recognized! Even within the LGBT community, we are seeing opportunities to educate and be heard. This year at the annual LGBT conference ‘Creating Change,’ Transgender was characterized as SEXY and POWER in reference to our community! The president of the Translatina Coalition won the longevity award of service to the transgender community!
Monika: Are you active in politics or involved in any lobbying campaigns? Can transgender women make a real difference there?
Arianna: Socrates once said, “To be human is to be political.” Each one of us has their own politics, and I am no different. For me, being political means representing my transgender community to help foster change, understanding, and acceptance. I am excited to attend the White House Lobby Day for ENDA (Employment Non-Discrimination Act) on July 15, 2014.
Monika: What role does love play in your life?
Arianna: The love I receive and give to my family is the most important part of my life. Yes, love is important, but in order to understand love, we first must learn to love and understand ourselves.
Monika: Fashion is a form of self-expression for many women. Do you enjoy it, and what kind of outfits do you usually wear?
Arianna: I love fashion… All girls love fashion! Yet, what is most important for our community is to learn how and when to dress for specific occasions. In my role at SunServe, I take great pride in helping other individuals in our community look great according to the moment. It’s good to be fabulous!
Monika: Do you have favorite designers, colors, or trends?
Arianna: I love all brands, especially Carolina Herrera. I love her classic style, very feminine! My colors depend on my mood. They can be white or black, and when I am in love, my favorite color is red.
Monika: Memoirs are a popular way for transgender women to tell their stories. Have you ever thought about writing one yourself?
Arianna: I am in the process of writing my memoirs. My dream is to finish my book soon, and it will include my personal story of being transgender and all the issues for Girls Like ME!!
Monika: What are you working on at the moment?
Arianna: As the Director of Transgender Services for SunServe, I am focusing my attention on developing transgender services. The name of my program is “Surviving & Thriving,” and it specializes in advocacy, training and education, face-to-face case management, mental health services, and support groups. More info at Sunserve.org.
Monika: Finally, what would you recommend to transgender girls struggling with gender dysphoria?
Arianna: Be who you are, search out individuals who are supportive, and remember that being transgender is not easy, but being who you are is the most important part of one’s life.
Monika: Arianna, thank you so much for taking the time to share your story!
All the photos: courtesy of Arianna Lint.
© 2014 - Monika Kowalska




No comments:
Post a Comment