Friday 19 May 2023

Interview with Anatasia Loyd


Monika: Anatasia Loyd is my lovely guest today. She is a Thai social media influencer, blogger, and businesswoman that documents her transition on social media. Hello Anatasia! Thank you for accepting my invitation.
Anatasia: Hello Monika! I am excited to share a little story with you.
Monika: Could you say a few words about yourself?
Anatasia: My name is Anatasia Loyd, but my friends call me (Asia) for short. I'm 36 years old, I am a Transgender woman and I live in Bangkok, Thailand.
Monika: What inspired you to share your intimate life moments on social media?
Anatasia: As a transgender woman, I believe that our journey offers hope for us to become who we truly are without fear of pursuing our dreams and finding happiness. I share inspiring stories with the hope of encouraging others to be open to different opinions and comments. We have hope in knowing that we are not alone in our struggles and challenges to live authentically.
Monika: Do you get many questions from your social media followers? What do they ask for?
Anatasia: Most of the time, they don't have many questions, but they enjoy following me and listening to the stories I share. Sometimes, I feel like a small voice that helps drive greater acceptance of the LGBTQ community in society.
"Ever since I was a child, I have
always acted like a little girl."
Monika: We all pay the highest price for the fulfillment of our dreams to be ourselves. As a result, we lose our families, friends, jobs, and social positions. Did you pay such a high price as well? What was the hardest thing about your coming out?
Anatasia: It's fortunate for me that the people around me, society, work, and my family all understand and accept me. This has made my life much easier, as everyone loves and respects me for who I am. As a result, I have learned to love and respect myself even more, and I choose to honor and accept only those who treat me with love and respect. This allows me to easily overlook the trivial things in life.
Monika: Why did you choose “Anatasia” for your name?
Anatasia: I think it's a beautiful and chic name for a girl. Hihihihi... It is believed that the name Anastasia has Greek roots and, when translated into Russian, means "revive". More precisely, it is the feminine form of the male name Anastas, which means "Sunday". (I was born on Sunday).
In ancient Greece, this name was exclusively used for men because it was believed that only the strong and brave could be reborn after their bodies and souls had been injured. Most of the time, warriors who defended territories belonging to Greece were given this name.
Monika: Was your family surprised by your transition?
Anatasia: It's familiar to everyone. Ever since I was a child, I have always acted like a little girl, so my transformation did not come as a surprise to them.
Monika: Are you satisfied with the effects of the hormone treatment?
Anatasia: I have been undergoing hormone therapy for a long time to adjust my body to look more in line with my gender, and I have been quite satisfied with the results to some degree. However, nowadays, I don't use hormones very often. If you want to transform your body into a woman, it is essential to rely on sex hormones that the body receives from outside. Therefore, hormone therapy is necessary for transgender individuals, but the suitability of each person's body should be considered. It is better to consult a medical professional before using hormones.
Monika: We are said to be prisoners of passing or non-passing syndrome. Although cosmetic surgeries help to overcome it, we will always be judged accordingly. How can we cope with this?
Anatasia: Yes, that is quite true for me, but we have no right to stop anyone from thinking differently. The only thing we can do is love and respect ourselves. Only we and the people who love us know what is best for us. Self-respect is key to what we choose, what we do, and how we feel. Therefore, building confidence is extremely important, and it serves as an important starting point, like immunity, because no matter what challenges we face in life, what matters most is how we feel about ourselves and how proud we are of our actions.
"Building confidence is extremely
important."
Monika: Do you remember the first time you saw a transgender woman on TV or met anyone transgender in person that opened your eyes and allowed you to realize who you are?
Anatasia: When I was young and watching TV at home, there was a song that featured a woman wearing a beautiful dress. The mesh dress was embroidered with glittering sequins, and she wore minimal clothing with high heels and feathers on her head.
At that time, I didn't know whether she was a woman, a man, or a transgender person, but to me, she was so beautiful. She sang with grace and confidence, and I couldn't help but admire her. “Do you believe in life after love? I can feel something inside me say. I really don’t think you’re strong enough, now”. Yes, she is Cher.
Monika: Did you have any transgender sisters around you that supported you during the transition?
Anatasia: I have friends and relatives in the countryside where we grew up together, and some of them are lesbians. These women like women and men like men. In every moment of my life growing up in this society, there were people who always supported each other, gave advice, traveled together, and shared good stories. It allows me to enjoy my life and not put any pressure on who I am.
Monika: What do you think about the present situation of transgender women in your country?
Anatasia: Currently, in my country, the situation for transgender women is relatively more open when it comes to gender diversity compared to 20 years ago. With the world becoming more open, transgender women who work as clerks or civil servants may dress as women, depending on their profession. For instance, some airlines allow transgender women to dress as women, as do some celebrities, singers, politicians, and businessmen.
However, not all professions are accepting. The legal matters concerning this issue are not yet covered. The current level of acceptance in society is called mere survival, which is anything but satisfactory. Further progress in acceptance would be easier.
However, what is currently being campaigned for a lot is the same-sex marriage law drafted by MPs for us, but we do not accept it. The draft of this law only allows people of the same sex to marry, which is considered discriminatory. However, the drafters did not consider allowing anyone to marry, regardless of gender. At the same time, women and men also can use this law in marriage too.
Monika: Do you like fashion? What kind of outfits do you usually wear? Any special fashion designs, colors, or trends?
Anatasia: I enjoy dressing up and experimenting with makeup to follow the latest fashion trends, sometimes incorporating my own personal style. However, some clothing styles may not be suitable for the extremely hot weather in my country. Regardless, I still like to dress appropriately for the occasion.

"I believe that our journey offers hope for us to
become who we truly are without fear of pursuing
our dreams and finding happiness."

Monika: Do you often experiment with your makeup?
Anatasia: Yes, I like to experiment with makeup. Sometimes out for fun at night, I'll have fun wearing my wig and makeup. :)
Monika: I remember copying my sister and mother first, and later other women, trying to look 100% feminine, and my cis female friends used to joke that I try to be a woman that does not exist in reality. Did you experience the same?
Anatasia: Of course, we were not born as women in the first place. When I was young, I used Mom's make-up, wrap a towel around my head to mimic long hair and play songs while walking the runway with my sister. When my father caught me doing it, he often punished me because he did not like transgender women. However, I continued to secretly enjoy myself.
Monika: By the way, do you like being complimented on your looks?
Anatasia: Yes, some people say I'm beautiful, they like my eyes, they like my lips. Some say I'm fat sometimes. I look like a man. Some say I have big feet. So, I can only thank you for the compliment and smile.
Monika: Do you remember your first job interview as a woman?
Anatasia: I remember my first job, I worked in a restaurant. I dressed my way, long hair, make-up, t-shirts, skirts, bras. I hadn't had my breasts done yet. Because I was still 16 years old.
"I enjoy dressing up and experimenting
with makeup."
Monika: When I came out at work, my male co-workers treated me in a way as if the transition lowered my IQ. Did you experience the same? Do you think it happens because we are women or because we are transgender? Or both?
Anatasia: I haven't experienced any discrimination. I get along well with my male co-workers and they respect me. I still have many male friends, but not many transgender friends. Most of my friends are cis men and women.
Monika: What would you advise to all trans women looking for employment?
Anatasia: My advice to all trans women looking for employment would be to focus on building a strong that showcase your skills, qualifications, and achievements. Be prepared to address any questions or concerns that potential employers may have about your gender identity. While it is illegal for employers to discriminate against individuals based on their gender identity, unfortunately, discrimination can still occur. Be prepared to answer questions about your experience and qualifications, and if you feel comfortable, consider sharing your gender identity and any relevant experiences. Finally, don't be afraid to advocate for yourself and your needs in the workplace.
Monika: How can we reduce discrimination, and where should we start?
Anatasia: Reducing discrimination should start within the family or school environment. It is important to advise children to respect and treat others equally, regardless of differences, as this is a fundamental right that every human being should have. Today, many countries have legalized same-sex marriage, demonstrating that more people are accepting of the LGBTQ+ community. Although outsiders may not understand the importance of this, for the LGBTQ+ community, it is a significant step forward in showing support and advocacy. Gender identity is not the result of imitation, and it is essential to encourage individuals to be themselves and believe in their abilities, just like any other woman or man. We believe that everyone should be treated equally, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, or any other difference. We should not judge people based on their appearance or gender, but instead, look beyond these superficial traits.
Monika: Could you tell me about the importance of love in your life?
Anatasia: While some people may not consider love as the primary motivation to wake up and face each day, for many, love remains a beautiful thing that can inspire and drive us forward. Love is essential, and it requires honesty and trust. When we love someone, neither we nor the other person should feel the need to change anything about ourselves. Trying to change oneself or others does not enhance the love between them; it is like trying to hide something. Acceptance of one's true self is key to a loving relationship. However, it is also essential to love oneself before anyone else. Loving others is undoubtedly important, but not at the expense of one's own happiness and well-being.
"I hope that one day I will be able
to share my own experiences and
stories with others."
Monika: Many transgender ladies write their memoirs. Have you ever thought about writing such a book yourself?
Anatasia: Wow! It is amazing how they can write to share their own stories and inspire others. Although writing a book may seem far-fetched to me now, I hope that one day I will be able to share my own experiences and stories with others. There are so many great stories out there to share, and I look forward to being able to contribute to that.
Monika: What is your next step in the present time and where do you see yourself within the next 5-7 years?
Anatasia: In the future, I hope to live in a place where society, the law, and people accept me for who I am as a transgender woman. I dream of living freely with dignity and respect.
Monika: What would you recommend to all transgender women that are afraid of transition?
Anatasia: In summary, if you are a transgender woman who is afraid of transitioning, it's important to educate yourself, seek support, find a therapist, take small steps, and remember your worth. With time and patience, you can overcome your fears and live as your authentic self.
Monika: My pen-friend Gina Grahame wrote to me once that we should not limit our potential because of how we were born or by what we see other transgender people doing. Our dreams should not end on an operating table; that’s where they begin. Do you agree with this?
Anatasia: From a logical standpoint, it makes sense that one's potential should not be limited by their gender identity or the limitations that society may place upon them. Everyone has the right to pursue their dreams and aspirations, regardless of their background or identity. While transitioning may be a part of some transgender individuals' journeys, it's not a requirement for everyone. It's important to remember that there are no rules or guidelines for how one should live their life as a transgender person. Each person's experience is unique and should be respected.
Monika: Anatasia, it was a pleasure to interview you. Thanks a lot!
Anatasia: I am delighted and happy to be speaking with you. I hope this message has been helpful to you in some way. Thank you, Monika. PS please follow me on Instagram: @anatasialoyd

All the photos: courtesy of Anatasia Loyd.
© 2023 - Monika Kowalska


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog