There is something wonderfully vivid about Björk’s story, a life where hair, music, identity, and reinvention seem to intertwine. A talented hairdresser from Iceland, she inherited her passion for hairstyling from a family that already carried the craft in its hands, with a grandfather who was a barber, a grandmother who was a hairstylist, and an aunt who followed the same path. Yet even as a child, Björk imagined herself in more than one role. First a hairstylist, then a singer, and eventually what she calls a “singing hairdresser,” she found a way to make both dreams part of the same life. Behind the glamorous hairstyles and playful love of pink, however, is a much more intimate story of survival and self-discovery. Björk speaks openly about her struggles with alcohol and substance abuse, and about the profound change that sobriety brought into her life. She also refuses to hide the difficult parts of her journey. Through social media, she has shared raw and painful experiences, including moments when she was attacked, believing that telling the truth about her own struggles might help someone else feel less alone.
Her story of coming into her own began remarkably early. As a child, she recognized herself in the story of a trans
woman she saw on Icelandic television, even though witnessing the ridicule that followed made her afraid to reveal
who she was. Years later, when she finally chose her own path, she also chose a name that had been waiting for her
all along. Björk was the name her mother had intended for a daughter before she was born, a name that somehow
remained hers to reclaim. Today, she speaks about transition not simply as a physical transformation, but as a
journey toward self-love. She has learned to care less about external validation, to recognize that other people’s
judgments do not define her, and to leave behind relationships that prevented her from becoming her true self. Her
message is simple but powerful: learn to truly love yourself before looking for someone else to love you. Warm,
candid, occasionally funny, and unafraid to be vulnerable, Björk embodies the idea that reinvention does not mean
becoming someone new. Sometimes it means finally allowing the person who was always there to step into the light.
And that is where our conversation with Björk begins.
|
|
"Now I am a singing hairdresser,
because I’m also a talented singer." |
Björk: Thank you, dear Monika, for inviting me to take part in this interview. Yes, I’m a hairdresser, and I’m
fortunate to be able to do what I love, where my true talent lies. Hair has always been my passion, and I also
really enjoy socializing with people. For that, I am truly grateful.
Monika: Okay, be honest, what’s the craziest hairstyle someone’s ever asked you to do? Like, did you have to sit
down and say, 'Are you sure about this, hun?'
Björk: I think the craziest hairstyle I’ve been asked to do was when a woman, who had just finished chemotherapy,
sat in my chair. She wanted me to nearly shave it all off and create a bold punk hairstyle. This woman used to have
thick, Rapunzel-like hair and never let me trim it before.
Monika: We all know a bad hair day can ruin the whole vibe. What’s your secret weapon for turning a ‘mop’ into a
‘masterpiece’ in like 10 minutes? Give us the magic trick!
Björk: A good dry thermal protector, style with a curling iron, apply some dry shampoo, finish with a glossy serum -
and you’re good to go!
Monika: How did you actually get into hairstyling? Was it one of those 'I was born with a comb in my hand'
situations, or did you have a totally random moment where you were like, ‘Yep, this is my thing’?
Björk: I think it’s always been in my blood, since my grandfather was an old-school barber, my grandmother was a
hairstylist, and my aunt was a hairstylist too. When I was little, I used to say, "I'm going to be a hairstylist,"
then “No, I’m going to be a singer,” and finally, “Wait, I’m going to be a singing hairdresser.” And guess what...
now I am a singing hairdresser, because I’m also a talented singer.
Monika: Okay, I’ve gotta know. I looked at your older photos, and I’m honestly a little jealous over here. You’ve
lost some serious weight, and you’re looking amazing! What’s been your secret?
Björk: Sobriety, baby! For many years, I struggled with alcohol and substance abuse, and because of that, I didn't
really care for my body. I never took proper care of it. But five months ago, I made the decision to get sober, and
that has completely changed my life, inside and out.
Monika: So, fashion! What do you usually wear? Any go-to styles or trends you’re loving right now?
Björk: I’m a pink lady… if it’s pink, I'll wear it!
Monika: Do you love playing around with makeup, or is it more of a “throw on the basics and go” kind of vibe for
you?
Björk: To be honest, applying makeup is probably my least favorite thing to do, but I do it anyway. My go-to
approach is “less is more,” and I love it when I can go for a natural look.
Monika: You look like a million dollars. Do you like getting compliments on your looks, or is it more like, ‘Okay,
enough already!’? How do they make you feel?
Björk: I used to rely on validation from men based on my looks, but since deciding to be sober, I now value
compliments about my personality much more. That said, who doesn’t love hearing that they look good?
Monika: Apart from the glamour photos, you share raw moments online too, especially when you’ve gone through tough
times. What makes you decide to open up to your followers about those darker moments, like when you shared the
story about the attack?
Björk: Sometimes I remind myself that others like me have gone through or are going through similar struggles, and
hearing about their experiences really helped me during my darkest times. It got me through. Now, I remind myself
that my purpose could be to help others, which in turn helps me. I’m no longer afraid to be raw and unfiltered about
my story.
Monika: We all know the journey to being our true selves comes with a heavy price. Like, losing friends, family,
jobs, and all that. I must say I am one of them. Did you have to pay a heavy price for being you? What was the
toughest part of your coming out?
Björk: The toughest part was probably leaving some people behind who I thought were good for me, but it turned out
they were holding me back from being my true self.
Monika: So, why did you pick Björk as your name? It’s so unique! I mean, if I were from Iceland, I’d totally
choose it too!
Björk: The real story behind my name is that when my mother was pregnant with me and my twin brother, she had an
ultrasound to find out the sex of the twins. It turned out to be a girl and a boy - the boy was supposed to be named
Dagur, and the girl was supposed to be named Björk. However, when we were born, things turned out differently. My
family would talk and laugh about this for years, so I always knew my true name - and obviously, I chose it when I
came out.
|
|
"I’m no longer afraid to be raw
and unfiltered about my story." |
Björk: Today, I know that when people judge me for being trans, it has nothing to do with me or who I am... that’s
it!
Monika: Do you remember the first time you saw a trans woman on TV or met one in real life that helped you
realize, “That’s me!”?
Björk: Yes, I vividly remember watching an interview with a young trans woman in Iceland when I was around eight
years old. I thought, "Wow, I'm like her." Sadly, this person ended up becoming a target of society’s ridicule,
which made me terrified to come out.
Monika: I remember trying to copy my mom and sister’s style when I was younger, and my friends used to joke that I
was trying to be this perfect woman who didn’t even exist. Did you go through something similar?
Björk: I remember when I was around five or six years old, I asked my brother and his friends to team up with me to
find a girl with really long hair. I wanted to ask if we could cut some of it off and put it on me, and if she could
lend me one of her dresses. Lol.
Monika: How do you feel about the current situation for trans women in Iceland?
Björk: It could be better. Honestly, I feel like things were a lot better five years ago, but it feels like we've
experienced a bit of a backlash. I think that’s how it often goes with minorities in general - there’s some
progress, then a bit of a backlash, more progress, then another setback, and so on.
Monika: I saw that promo video you did for one of the SRS clinics in Thailand. When I went through my SRS, there
were so few clinics to choose from, so my options were super limited. Now, there are so many! What advice would
you give to other girls when picking the best clinic for their surgery?
Björk: First of all, not everyone can afford private clinics, but if they can, I would recommend doing some research
to find what best suits them and following their gut feeling.
|
|
"Find a way to truly love yourself
(your new self) before seeking someone else to love you or to love." |
Björk: To be completely honest, I've had some friends who have gone through similar experiences as me (other trans
women), and some of those friendships have been very supportive, and I still maintain them. However, there were
others that turned out to be quite toxic, with both of us contributing to the negativity. Unfortunately, I think
this kind of competition can be common in friendships between trans women. I'm not sure why, but it’s a sad reality.
Monika: What was the most surprising part of your transition that you didn’t expect, either positively or
negatively?
Björk: The thing that surprised me the most was the hormonal breakthrough I had after my surgery. That glow-up was
something else - it really amazed me. But a sober glow-up? That’s next level. I highly recommend it... You'll love
it!
Monika: A lot of trans women are writing their memoirs. Ever thought about writing your own book?
Björk: No, I’ve never really thought about that. I feel like I'm just one tiny little girl in this world, so to
speak, and I'm sure there are so many other incredible stories out there that deserve to be told. But who knows,
maybe one day I’ll have my own book.
Monika: Before we wrap up, what’s one piece of advice you’d give to any trans women out there who are still
navigating their journey, whether it’s about confidence, love, or just living their truth?
Björk: Find a way to truly love yourself (your new self) before seeking someone else to love you or to love.
Monika: And lastly, what’s next for you? Any exciting plans or dreams you’re working on that we should keep an eye
out for?
Björk: I’m just going to keep doing what I’m doing - elevate, grow, and improve.
Monika: Björk, you’re such an inspiration! It’s been so amazing to hear your story and chat with you today. Thank
you for being so open and sharing your journey with all of us. You’re truly a queen, and I can't wait to see
everything you accomplish next! Stay fabulous, babe!
Björk: Thank you so much, dear Monika! You truly make my heart melt!
All the photos: courtesy of Björk.
© 2025 - Monika Kowalska
No comments:
Post a Comment