Thursday, May 1, 2014

Interview with Lindsay C. Walker


Lindsay C. Walker is an inspirational Australian artist, comics illustrator, and digital artist whose work spans such popular franchises as The Phantom, Street Fighter, Darkstalkers, Voltron, Kolchak: The Night Stalker, Shi, King Kong, The Pro, Hack/Slash, and Zombies vs. Cheerleaders. She has wanted to be an artist for as long as she can remember, initially dreaming of becoming an animator before discovering her passion for illustration and comics. She also contributed to Womanthology: Space, a charity anthology graphic novel showcasing the work of female creators of different ages and experience levels, illustrating a story written by acclaimed comic-book writer Devin Grayson. Beyond her artistic career, Lindsay is a transgender woman who lives in Melbourne, Australia, with her partner, Kim, and their three daughters. Her transition began more than three years ago, and although the fear of rejection was one of her greatest concerns, Kim's unwavering support helped her face that uncertainty.

Lindsay speaks openly about the importance of love, acceptance, and confidence, while acknowledging that transgender people still face considerable challenges in their pursuit of equality. She is encouraged by respectful representations of transgender characters in comics, including Gail Simone's portrayal of a transgender woman in Batgirl, and has considered creating an autobiographical comic about her own transition. Lindsay's artistic ambitions have recently been complicated by persistent pain that affects her hands, spine, and legs, leaving her uncertain about the future of her illustration career. Although she has had to put several projects aside, she is working on a comic script and continues to explore new ways of expressing her creativity. In our conversation, we discuss her artistic inspirations, the representation of women and transgender characters in comics, her experiences of transition, the love and support of her family, and her hopes for a more accepting future. Lindsay also shares a message for transgender girls struggling with gender dysphoria: confidence matters, and learning not to surrender to society's expectations can make a difference.
 
Monika: Lindsay, welcome! It is a pleasure and an honor to have you with us today.
Lindsay: Hello, Monika!
 
Star Wars: Leia.
 
Monika: At what point did you decide to become a professional illustrator?
Lindsay: For as long as I can remember, I’ve wanted to be an artist. When I was small, I always thought I’d be an animator. But I don’t have the patience for that.
Monika: Comics have carried a lowbrow reputation for much of their history. Has that changed?
Lindsay: They still do, but it’s been gradually changing since the ’80s, I think. Mostly in recent years because of all these Marvel movies.
Monika: Hollywood keeps adapting comic book heroes, yet most of them are male. Is there any chance for female characters to become more prominent and visible?
Lindsay: I hope so. I’m not holding my breath, though. Wonder Woman would be the best choice to change things, if it’s done properly, that is. I hear there’s a possible Black Widow movie.
Monika: Has the idea of creating transgender comics heroines ever crossed your mind?
Lindsay: I have thought about it a little bit. I was actually thinking about doing an autobiographical comic.
 
Courtesy of Lindsay C. Walker.
 
Monika: Is there such a thing as transgender art, and what does it mean to be a transgender artist?
Lindsay: Art is there for everyone. I don’t think being transgender changes anything there.
Monika: Transgender stories and characters have appeared in films, newspapers, and books. What is your general view of how they have been portrayed so far?
Lindsay: For the most part, we aren’t portrayed very well. But even that is changing at a limping snail’s pace.
Monika: Has any portrayal stood out to you in a positive way?
Lindsay: Gail Simone wrote a transgender character into her Batgirl comic, and she was written respectfully. I got to meet Gail when she visited Australia. She gave me a copy of the Batgirl issue where the trans woman came out.
Monika: You are one of the authors of Womanthology: Space, an anthology graphic novel created entirely by women for charity, showcasing the work of female creators of every age and experience level. Tell me about your part in that project.
Lindsay: I was the artist in a story written by Devin Grayson. I created my own comic called Tales from Half-World, and I posted some pages from it on the Womanthology forums.
Monika: How did you end up working with Devin Grayson?
Lindsay: Devin saw those pages and asked me to work with her on her story. I was shocked. Here was somebody who had worked on some big titles such as Batman, and she wanted to work with me. She’s fantastic to work with.
 
The Phantom.
 
Monika: Did you follow any transgender role models at that stage of your transition?
Lindsay: Not early in my transition. My partner and I read books and watched documentaries. That helped and inspired me. These days, though, I’d say Laverne Cox and Lana Wachowski are my biggest trans role models.
Monika: What was the hardest part of coming out?
Lindsay: The fear of never being accepted. Not just from the people around me, but more importantly from my partner, Kim. She’s been my biggest supporter.
Monika: And how have things gone since you began your transition?
Lindsay: I started my transition more than three years ago. Not once have I experienced any direct prejudice from anyone. I’ve actually got more friends than I’ve ever had before.
Monika: How do you see the present situation of transgender women in your country?
Lindsay: It’s not perfect, but compared to some countries, I’m glad to live in Australia. Well, Melbourne in particular. I never hear about transgender people being murdered over here.
Monika: Some say transgenderism could be the new frontier for human rights. Do you agree?
Lindsay: Quite possibly. We seem to have the longest road to full acceptance compared to other minorities. I’ve heard stories of gays and lesbians discriminating against transgender people.
Monika: Turning to politics, are you active in it, perhaps through lobbying campaigns, and can transgender women make a difference there?
Lindsay: The most I do is sign petitions and share info online. Better than nothing, I guess. Transgender women can make a difference in politics. I’ve seen it happen before. We just need more people doing it on a large scale.
 
Courtesy of Lindsay C. Walker.
 
Monika: What role does love play in your life?
Lindsay: I’ve been with my partner, Kim, for twelve years. We have three daughters: Ariel (11), Heloise (6), and Evelyn (3). Love is incredibly important in our family. Without Kim’s support, I doubt I’d be around now doing this interview.
Monika: Are you into fashion? Tell me what you usually wear, and whether any designs, colors, or trends stand out for you.
Lindsay: I’m not big on fashion. Most of the time (when I’m not in my PJs or Incredible Hulk onesie), I’ll wear jeans and a geeky shirt. Star Trek, dinosaurs. That sort of thing. One shirt has dinosaurs dressed as Star Trek characters.
Monika: And beyond the geeky shirts?
Lindsay: Other than that, I like to wear nice dresses. Something classic-looking.
Monika: Many transgender women write memoirs. Have you ever thought about writing one yourself?
Lindsay: Yep. I did a talk ages ago at Squishface Studio’s about my art career. A friend of mine was there and suggested I do a graphic novel about my transition. I’ve made notes about it. So maybe someday I’ll get that done.
Monika: Are you working on any new projects at the moment?
Lindsay: Unfortunately not. About a year ago, I was getting pains in my drawing hand. At first, I thought it was from drawing too much. Then it spread over to my left hand. Then down my spine and legs. Now I’m in constant pain and can barely walk.
 
SiniStar-Trek: Frankenstein’s Monster.
 
Monika: Do you know what is causing the pain?
Lindsay: I still haven’t been diagnosed. From what I’ve read, it could be fibromyalgia. But I just don’t know for sure.
Monika: What does that mean for your illustration career and your creative plans?
Lindsay: Last year, I had to give up on the projects I was working on. I don’t know if I’ll ever have my art career now. I’m currently writing a comic script. So maybe writing will be my only comic work. I’m not very confident at it just yet. So practice, practice, practice.
Monika: What would you say to transgender girls who are struggling with gender dysphoria?
Lindsay: I know it’s hard, particularly at first. But confidence can make all the difference. People will pick up on that. Try not to give in to the pressure that society expects from you. Easier said than done, though.
Monika: Lindsay, thank you for this conversation and for your openness.
Lindsay: Thank you very much, Monika.

All the photos: courtesy of Lindsay C. Walker.
© 2014 - Monika Kowalska
 

Ms. Lindsay C. Walker has passed to the other side. May she find the happiness and love she gave to others. Thank you for all you have done ...
27 September 2016


You may also like

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog