Marissa Martinez, an American transgender musician, guitarist and vocalist for the California grindcore band Cretin, has made her mark in a music scene traditionally dominated by men. A passionate musician, she has been involved with Cretin since its early years and also played guitar for the legendary death metal band Repulsion between 2011 and 2013. In July 2008, Marissa publicly came out as a trans woman in an interview with Decibel magazine, becoming one of the visible transgender women in the extreme metal scene. Her experience has given her a distinctive perspective on the challenges of being transgender in a musical community where individuality, defiance and authenticity are important values.
Marissa's story is not limited to music. Alongside her work as a guitarist and vocalist, she has built a professional career in quality assurance for 3D rendering in video games and movies. She has also spoken openly about the harmful stereotypes that transgender people encounter in the media, emphasizing the importance of allowing trans people to tell their own stories. Rather than treating her transition as a universal example for others to follow, she believes that every transgender person's journey is unique, with different needs, goals and experiences deserving of respect. In December 2013, Marissa married her husband, marking another happy chapter in her personal life. In our interview, Marissa talks about her marriage, her musical career, the place of women in extreme metal, transgender representation, activism and the importance of equal treatment under the law. She also shares her thoughts on what aspiring musicians need to succeed in an exceptionally demanding industry.
Monika: Marissa, welcome! It’s a pleasure to have you with us today.
Marissa: Hi!
| Slave To The Grind. Marissa Martinez on playing with Repulsion. Source: YouTube. |
Monika: Congratulations are in order on your marriage! How did it feel to be the beautiful bride?
Marissa: Thank you! It was really nerve-racking until the ceremony actually started. Typically, I dress really casually, and I don’t have a big interest in clothing and fashion. So, the whole process of dress shopping, shoe shopping, and deciding on hair and makeup, I found it all overwhelming. It’s just not my thing. I was really excited to be married to my husband. Just not so much for the wedding itself. Hahaha!
Monika: Was a honeymoon part of the plan?
Marissa: We just got back from our honeymoon. We went to Yosemite, which is where we got engaged.
Monika: Your path has taken you from coming out as a transgender woman in Decibel magazine in 2008 to your wedding in December 2013.
Marissa: Yes, it’s true. I’ve been very fortunate to have the support of friends, family, and the metal community.
Monika: Marcie Free of King Cobra, Jackie Enx of Rhino Bucket, Mina Caputo of Life of Agony, Laura Jane Grace of Against Me! and yourself are only some of the best-known musicians who decided to transition. Is it easier to do so when you are already a known name?
Marissa: I wouldn’t know. I mean… I’ve never tried to transition as an unknown musician. I can’t say if it’s easier or not. I suppose it would be more private, since you wouldn’t have a scene and a fan-base to come out to. But, that doesn’t necessarily mean it would be easier.
Monika: Cretin’s “Daddy’s Little Girl” is said to have been an outlet for your inner Marissa. Did other references to your transgenderism find their way into your songs and music?
Marissa: Honestly, people read that into “Daddy’s Little Girl” after I came out. The initial idea of having a transgender-themed song was mine, but I didn’t really realize that I was trans when we wrote it. I was still repressing those feelings. So, any of the lyrics on “Freakery” don’t intentionally hide any messages regarding my identity.
Monika: Women remain a small minority in Death Metal and Grindcore. What do you think is behind that?
Marissa: Well, metal, in general, is traditionally a male-dominated genre. There have always been some female musicians involved. The numbers these days are considerably larger. I would guess that’s due to the fact that the scene has had over 30 years to grow, and has become more inclusive over that time. I’ve also heard it expressed quite often that metalheads care more about the music a person makes, rather than what gender they are.
Monika: Are there any new projects on the horizon, either with Cretin or solo?
Marissa: Yes! Cretin are currently recording our second album “Stranger.”
Monika: How do you view the transgender stories and characters that films, newspapers and books have featured so far?
Marissa: Historically, trans people are terribly stereotyped in media. In films and on TV we’re typically portrayed as tragic characters who are awkward, or flamboyant, or out to deceive people. Many news outlets continue to sensationalize our stories, resorting to misgendering us with improper pronouns, and revealing our birth names and surgical statuses.
Monika: Is anything changing for the better?
Marissa: Thankfully, organizations like GLAAD are out there petitioning media to stop treating trans people so poorly and to follow the Associated Press’ guidelines for telling trans people’s stories.
Monika: Turning to the present, what is the situation of transgender women in American society like today?
Marissa: It’s terrible. In 32 states it’s perfectly legal to fire, harass, or deny hiring trans people. We face higher levels of discrimination in education, proper medical treatment, and housing than any other maligned group. Also, in many states trans people cannot legally update their gender markers on identification documents such as driver’s licenses and birth certificates. We face a 41% suicide rate because of these injustices.
Monika: Some say transgenderism could be the new frontier for human rights. Do you agree?
Marissa: I’d say that that is a general perception. But, honestly, the fight for the equal treatment of trans people was part of the original LGBT civil rights movement.
Monika: What happened to that fight along the way?
Marissa: Our voices ended up drowned out as larger portions of the community, who did not recognize the intersectionality of our concerns, abandoned us. However, with the advent of the internet, we’ve been able to make our voices heard again, and are making great strides in the fight for equal rights. There’s still a long way to go, though.
Monika: Politics is another arena where change happens. Do you take part in any lobbying campaigns, and can transgender women make a difference there?
Marissa: Beyond using my voice to bring awareness to transgender rights, I donate money to the Transgender Law Center and various other equal rights campaigns. I also vote.
Monika: Tell me about your style. Do you follow fashion, and are there any special designs, colors or trends you favor?
Marissa: I’m not very into fashion. I was early on in my transition because I bought into the stereotype that I had to be. But, I mostly just wear jeans and band t-shirts these days. The typical dress of a metalhead.
Monika: Transgender beauty pageants tend to spark debate. What is your take on them?
Marissa: I don’t have an interest in any beauty pageants, to be honest. Judging people on how well they can wear a swimsuit, evening gown, or how traditionally pretty they can be seems horribly objectifying and dangerous to me.
Monika: Surely they open some doors for contestants, though?
Marissa: I understand that it gives opportunity to some, but I’m not sure that’s a good enough reason to support it. I’d rather see people given opportunity through education and equal treatment under the law.
Monika: Many transgender women write their memoirs. Has a book of your own ever crossed your mind?
Marissa: I’ve been told that I should, but honestly, I’m not a very good writer. I don’t know. Maybe someday I’ll work on something like that. I’m not sure there’s much of a story to tell yet.
Monika: What advice would you give to transgender girls who dream of a career like yours?
Marissa: Well, my career is as a Quality Assurance professional in 3D rendering for video games and movies. So, I’d recommend studying computers and getting at least an associate’s degree in Computer Science. Getting recognition as a musician is much harder. It takes a lot of practice, a lot of passion, and then you have to meet the right people to give you a chance.
Monika: Marissa, thank you so much for this conversation!
Marissa: No problem. Thank you for the opportunity!
All the photos: courtesy of Marissa Martinez.
Main photo by Ester Segarra.
© 2014 - Monika Kowalska