Saturday, 10 January 2015

Interview with Tommie Ross


Monika: Today it is my pleasure and honour to interview Tommie Ross, an American entertainer and beauty pageant queen. Hello Tommie!
Tommie: Hello Monika! I'm great, blessed and highly favored.
Monika: Could you say a few words about yourself?
Tommie: I am a GOD fearing entertainer who enjoys life.
Monika: When did you decide that you would like to be a stage artist?
Tommie: After I saw my first show back in 1978, I knew instantly I wanted to do it. 
Monika: Could you name some of the venues and shows in which you participated? 
Tommie: I worked in different venues across the the United States, Canada, the Bahamas and Mexico.
The older I get the more I have learned
how to tolerate the mess.
Monika: Have you ever thought about acting?
Tommie: I believe every time I perform a song on stage it's a form of acting.
Monika: You also take part in transgender beauty pageants. Could you say a few words about your pageants and trophies?
Tommie: I am 10 time national title holder, including Miss USofA, Miss National, Miss Continental, Miss Black America, and Miss World.
Monika: Being beautiful always produces a lot of girl power and empowerment. Do you often use it?
Tommie: Exterior beauty is nice but I truly believe inner beauty is better to have.
Monika: At that time of your transition, did you have any transgender role models that you could follow?
Tommie: The first Impersonators I saw were Donna Day, Hot Chocolate, Tasha Kohl, and Naomi Sims but I tried to find my own identity.
Monika: What was the hardest thing about your coming out?
Tommie: It was just a different time in the 80's; anything associated with transgendered people was thought of as negative.
Monika: What do you think about the present situation of transgender women in the American society?
Tommie: I think trans women are making positive steps in society but just like any other group of people there are ones that bring negative light.
Monika: We are witnessing more and more transgender ladies coming out. Unlike in the previous years some of them have status of celebrities or are really well-known, just to mention Lana Wachowski in film-directing, Jenna Talackova in modelling, Kate Bornstein in academic life, Laura Jane Grace in music or Candis Cayne in acting. Do you witness the same trend?
Tommie: Laverne Cox I believe is another fine example of a positive face.
Making mistakes says 1 of 2 things...
I DON'T KNOW or I DON'T CARE.
Monika: Could transgenderism be the new frontier for human rights?
Tommie: I do believe that trans women are becoming a new frontier for human rights.
Monika: Are you active in politics? Do you participate in any lobbying campaigns? Do you think transgender women can make a difference in politics?
Tommie: I am an active voter and try to get issues and messages out there as often as I can.
Monika: Could you tell me about the importance of love in your life?
Tommie: Love is very important to give and share.
Monika: Do you like fashion? What kind of outfits do you usually wear? Any special fashion designs, colours or trends?
Tommie: I love fashion. I design the majority of my stage clothes. I particularly like a more classic look.
Monika: You have a perfect figure. What do you do to stay so slim?
Tommie: I don't exercise. Maybe all the running in airports trying to catch that next flight keeps me fit.
Monika: Many transgender ladies write their memoirs. Have you ever thought about writing such a book yourself?
Tommie: Writing my memoirs has been something I have been thinking a lot about lately.
Monika: What is your next step in the present time and where do you see yourself within the next 5-7 years?
Tommie: In 5 or 7 years hopefully I will be something along the lines of an entertainment coach.
Monika: What would you recommend to all transgender girls, thinking about the entertainment career?
Tommie: I recommend to all new entertainers is to keep your individuality 
Monika: Tommie, thank you for the interview!
Tommie: Thank you very much for the interview.

All the photos: courtesy of Tommie Ross.
Done on 10 January 2015
© 2015 - Monika 

1 comment:

  1. Tommie Ross is Iconic in the pageant world as well as in the LGBT community. She is my very first mentor in female impersonation and she helped to set the standard of what a professional entertainer should be. Shes very humble but she deserves any and all accolades that may come her way.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...