Saturday 4 February 2017

Interview with Gabriele Orman


Monika: Today’s interview will be with Gabriele Orman, a British video blogger that documents her transition on YouTube. Hello Gabriele!
Gabriele: Hello Monika, nice to meet you, honey!!
Monika: Could you say a few words about yourself?
Gabriele: Yes sure. Well, I am a YouTuber and I document my transition in the form of online videos. I also do product reviews, mainly targeted at trans individuals to give them hope and inspiration. 
Monika: Why did you decide to share your transition details on YouTube?
Gabriele: I decided to do this as I’m a very outgoing person and I wanted to share my story as every trans story is different but some other trans people could relate to my particular story and basically because I think it’s good to raise awareness of topics that are brushed under the carpet in society.
Monika: I am sure you get many questions from your YouTube fans. What do they ask for?
Gabriele: Well, as you are aware with being transgender comes a lot of fantasist and fetish minded men, so they always say things from a sexual angle but when you push through all that rubbish, you actually meet nice people that just want advice and help and ask you questions about the transition process.
Monika: What was the strangest question that you answered?
Gabriele: I don’t tend to answer strange things but one guy offered me a lot of money to squeeze a tube of toothpaste on my face, but being naturally classy I declined the offer ha-ha.
Monika: Do you write scenarios for your videos or do you just improvise?
Gabriele: I am the type of person that just goes with what’s in my head at the time I don’t tend to plan what I say unless the video needs certain details then I will plan it.
Monika: At which stage of the transition are you right now?
Gabriele: I have been on HRT treatment for 2 years 2 months. I am still waiting for the gender clinic to give me a nod but this process seems to take forever. 
Monika: Are you satisfied with the results of the hormone therapy?
Gabriele: Yes and no. I’ve always been slim and been able to pull off the female role. If I’m honest, I just wish I had bigger boobs but I will still love my A cups nevertheless, ha-ha. Anything is better than nothing right?
Monika: Are there any transgender role models that you follow?
Gabriele: If I’m being totally honest no I don’t see transgender people in the media show the true meaning of being transgender and I kinda don’t feel like I relate to many. I just try and do my thing and try and be the best role model I can be for others.

Ready for modeling.

Monika: What was the hardest thing about your coming out?
Gabriele: I would have to say not being taken seriously as I’m all about respect but society has not got to a place of comfort with transgender issues.
I’m very intelligent and I know my own feelings so it’s hard when people deny how you feel like you’re crazy or something, but life goes on !!!
Monika: What do you think about the present situation of transgender women in your country?
Gabriele: The situation with trans women in the UK is not amazing but it could be worse. People especially men are scared in the UK and it's mainly down to culture. I find Scandinavian and Canadian people are the most excepting.
Men in the UK generally deny who you say you are but I know what I am and that’s a trans woman because I say so. I just wish the NHS would give better services to us. It’s like we are expected to live fake lives because they don’t get the funding they need, it’s crazy.
Monika: What do you think about transgender stories or characters which have been featured in films, newspapers, or books so far?
Gabriele: Yes, I think it’s good. Anything is good in media when it comes to transgender and puts the word out there, and makes it more normal.
Monika: Are you active in politics? Do you participate in any lobbying campaigns? Do you think transgender women can make a difference in politics?
Gabriele: If I’m being totally honest I don’t think trans people and politics go together. We need to get accepted first, maybe in a few hundred years.
Monika: Are you involved in the life of your local LGBTQ community?
Gabriele: I don’t have an LGBTQ community that’s why I do YouTube, but as for living in one, I find the LGBTQ community especially gay men hard to get on with as gay men generally don’t like us, transgender people. I quite like being the only transsexual in the village, to be honest. Stay off my patch girls. ha-ha
Monika: The transgender cause is usually manifested together with the other LGBT communities. Being the last letter in this abbreviation, is the transgender community able to promote its own cause within the LGBT group?
Gabriele: Simple answer - take the T off LGBTQ as it has nothing to do with sexuality. Everyone knows this but it still gets left on whereas gender and sexuality are totally different.
Monika: Do you like fashion? What kind of outfits do you usually wear? Any special fashion designs, colors, or trends?
Gabriele: I’m a very classy person and like to look neat and tidy always I would say I model my style off Victoria Beckham as she is probably my inspiration. I’m a neutral kind of person but like pops of color here and there. ha-ha
Monika: What do you think about transgender beauty pageants?
Gabriele: I don’t like them. I think it’s just a bunch of girls fighting over who is prettier. I don’t believe in promoting looks. Promote personality and experience instead.
Monika: Could you tell me about the importance of love in your life?
Gabriele: Everyone likes to be loved but if I have learned one thing is that if you don’t love yourself first no one else can. The fact is that I’ve got to a point where I find love within myself. If no other human loved me I’d be cool, anyway I have dogs for that.

Gabriele's Instagram page.

Monika: Many transgender ladies write their memoirs. Have you ever thought about writing such a book yourself?
Gabriele: Yes, I keep a diary as it's important to offload stuff when your head gets full but to also be able to look back at how far you have come.
Monika: What would you recommend to transgender women that are afraid of early transition, discrimination and hatred?
Gabriele: Just be prepared. Try and get yourself to a good place before your transition. Be prepared to have to work stuff out alone but ready to spend a lot of time on your own and be prepared to be disappointed by so-called friends and family. If you are not strong to start with, you will never make it to the finish.
You have just got to be realistic. Finally, sad people that don’t accept you, you really don’t need them. I only have to look at people these days and their own hatred towards me strangles themselves ha!
Monika: What is your next step in the present time and where do you see yourself within the next 5-7 years?
Gabriele: Well regarding transition I am just waiting for the GIC to move things along. As for my personal life I just carry on living in my own world. I’m generally disappointed by peoples’ lack of consistency.
I think I’m becoming my mother slowly, to be honest, I just love being creative and spontaneous which leads me to the second part of the question, I don’t actually know where I will be and I don’t plan it either.
I believe we all have a path set out for us and I'm just gonna go with it!!
Monika: Gabriele, it was a pleasure to interview you. Thanks a lot!
Gabriele: Thank you Monika and thanks for giving me this opportunity. It’s been a pleasure!! Gabriele Xx

All the photos: courtesy of Gabriele Orman.
© 2017 - Monika Kowalska
 

Search This Blog