Saturday 29 April 2023

Interview with Divina Loloma


Monika: Today let me take you to Fiji, an island country in Melanesia, part of Oceania in the South Pacific Ocean. This is where I am meeting our sister Divina Loloma. Divina is a transgender politician and activist. She is the first known transwoman to have contested Fiji’s General Election, under the National Federation Party banner. Hello Divina!
Divina: Hello Monika!
Monika: Could you say a few words about yourself?
Divina: l am Divina Loloma, a Fijian lslander and transgender woman. 
Monika: Many of us live the lives of wives, mothers, and daughters, trying to forget about our past. You have decided to be an advocate of transgender rights and be vocal about our positive image in society. Have you ever felt the temptation of being in the closet, being a woman rather than a transgender woman?
Divina: I am a mature transwoman with a goal to always make a difference in the ever-changing world.
Monika: Do you think transgender women can make a difference in politics?
Divina: Transwomen definitely can make a difference in politics simply because l believe any human being, when given an opportunity, can fulfill their potential. ln the beginning, when I was growing up, I was confused about who l was until my travel to Australia at the age of 17. Then l realized l could become the real me that l always dreamt of, namely, a visible transexual woman.

"Transwomen definitely can make
a difference in politics."

Monika: You are no stranger to politics. In fact, in the 2014 General Election, you were a candidate for the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), under your male name. What was your political manifesto when you decided to enter politics?
Divina: My political manifesto when entering politics was inclusivity, gender equality, and recognition through equal participation in decision-making. 
Monika: Aye you satisfied with what you have achieved as a politician?
Divina: As politicians we serve people, so serving is the main priority. Serving never ends and for me it's important to serve others.
Monika: We all pay the highest price for the fulfillment of our dreams to be ourselves. As a result, we lose our families, friends, jobs, and social positions. Did you pay such a high price as well? What was the hardest thing about your coming out?
Divina: During the time of my transition, l realized that my family did not understand me and challenged my faith in myself. l had to forcefully leave my family residence at the request of my Dad who did not accept me. I had to live my life as l always wanted. I was healthy, strong, and rejuvenating during my journey. It was an amazing life experience that eventually was built on trust with friends who were facing the same thing.
Feeling lovely.
Monika: Why did you choose Divina for your name?
Divina: Divina was a bestie of mine from Tonga whom l met during my transitional phase in Australia. She was beautiful inside and out. That was all l wanted to be. The beauty behind a name.
Monika: Was your family surprised by your transition?
Divina: My family couldn't get over the fact that l would break tradition, culture, and religion to be the person that l am today.
Monika: We are said to be prisoners of passing or non-passing syndrome. Although cosmetic surgeries help to overcome it, we will always be judged accordingly. How can we cope with this?
Divina: l realized such remarks will continue forever. My mechanism is to remain faithful to myself and pray I'm safe with the everlasting protection of the ALMIGHTY GOD.
Monika: Are you satisfied with the effects of the hormone treatment?
Divina: The effects of HRT have really been my pillar with GOD seeing my desire to be a representative for those who are lost. It's been my dream to help and assist those like me and the like.
Monika: Did you have any transgender sisters around you that supported you during the transition?
Divina: l had transvestite friends here who are going through stigma and discrimination every day but walking with them gives me confidence that also gives them confidence that we can battle together.
Monika: What do you think about the present situation of transgender women in your country?
Divina: There are more transvestites then transexuals... Transvestite led organizations lead debates to make things more complicated. The nation is yet to understand the difference but we are yet in a convincing debate with the government and stakeholders that pre-op and post-op transexuals exist and we want to make a difference in our birth certificates and recognition in women's ministries.
Monika: Do you like fashion? What kind of outfits do you usually wear? Any special fashion designs, colors, or trends?
Divina: l love bright colours. I'm a Fijian traditional-looking woman, and l dress like one too.
Monika: I remember copying my sister and mother first, and later other women, trying to look 100% feminine, and my cis female friends used to joke that I try to be a woman that does not exist in reality. Did you experience the same?
Divina: It's a norm in every society. We make a stand and make a difference in our work and public service.

"I'm a Fijian traditional-looking woman."

Monika: Do you remember your first job interview as a woman?
Divina: My first job interview was being a secretary to an NGO that looks after HIV awareness n programs. I presented myself and climbed the ladder.
Monika: When I came out at work, my male co-workers treated me in a way as if the transition lowered my IQ. Did you experience the same? Do you think it happens because we are women or because we are transgender? Or both?
Divina: When being yourself, BE PRESENTABLE according to the environment and make a difference.
Monika: What would you advise to all transwomen looking for employment?
Divina: For all Transwomen looking for employment, look your best, be articulate and professional in a world that's made up of it.
Monika: Are you involved in the life of the local LGBTQ community?
Divina: Now I'm strategizing to be the first transgender to visit the chiefs of this nation who hold great power in order to secure dialogue in terms of LBGTIQ safety and security.
Monika: Could you tell me about the importance of love in your life?
Divina: My transition has taught me great things in life as an individual. It has made me strong and allowed me space to meet and represent the vulnerable. This is my great strength in life and has given me the insight to be the benchmark as a transwoman with wisdom in a world of hatred and deceit. My life has to be a model to those who are afflicted.

"As politicians we serve people, so serving is the main priority."

Monika: Many transgender ladies write their memoirs. Have you ever thought about writing such a book yourself?
Divina: A book is a must if given the opportunity, which will save lives and give determination where it is not seen.
Monika: What would you recommend to all transgender women that are afraid of transition?
Divina: To all young transgender, make a difference now. Everyone is a Trans. We all around the globe change from bad to good... from better to another form of better and transition is a norm in this world let alone changing gender. Change is inevitable.
Monika: My pen-friend Gina Grahame wrote to me once that we should not limit our potential because of how we were born or by what we see other transgender people doing. Our dreams should not end on an operating table; that’s where they begin. Do you agree with this?
Divina: l don't agree that transition is an accident philosophy... Don't change for others... change for yourself.
Monika: Divina, it was a pleasure to interview you. All the best to all trans sisters in Fiji! Thanks a lot!
Divina: Much love to every transitioning transgender around the globe. GOD BLESS YOU ALL!

All the photos: courtesy of Divina Loloma.
© 2023 - Monika Kowalska


1 comment:

  1. Thank you Monica.
    Greatly appreciated and pray it will influence those that are lost and still finding their way in society today.
    Much love
    Divina

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog