Sunday 16 April 2023

Interview with Linda Montana


Monika: Linda Montana, an Australian transgender activist, beauty pageant queen, stage artist, tennis player, and the star of the 'Les Girls' cabaret, one of Sydney’s original and most famous cabaret shows, is my guest today. Linda arrived in Sydney’s western suburbs from the Philippines in the late eighties and since then she has been an active member of the vibrant trans community in Sydney. Hello Linda!
Linda: Hi Monika! Greetings from down under. I just want to thank you for this opportunity.
Monika: Could you say a few words about yourself?
Linda: Gosh, where does it start? Lol Besides what was mentioned above, I also compete in tennis tournaments, which include global sporting events and straight tournaments. I'm off to Hong Kong in November to compete at the Gay Games. I guess my most successful event was the World Masters Games 2010 - the silver medal in Women’s Doubles and bronze for Mixed Doubles.
Monika: Woow! I am impressed! When did you start playing tennis? Is it fair to say that you are a semi-professional player?
Linda: No, I wouldn't say that! Lol. I competed at both “straight” and LGBTQIplus tennis tournaments both local and international. Renée Richards was the pioneer in this field and is my inspiration.
Monika: I read all the books written by Renée Richards. She is a legend!
The annual Sydney Pride event was held a couple of weeks ago. Did you enjoy it?
Linda: Oh yes!!! On the first day, I was asked to do a presentation about Sydney World Pride to top executives at my work (a government agency). I celebrated Sydney World Pride for 16 consecutive days - 19 events, highlighted by marching for Trans Pride Australia, the Singles final - Amazon Pride Tennis Tournament, and doing shows for Miss Pride Queen and Transglamour.
Monika: You are a woman of many talents. Which profession is your favourite?
Linda: Monika, I guess I wanted to project a new brand of “trans”, someone who is capable of doing pretty much anything. In my life I've done entertainment including television, music videos, and magazine editorials, also competing at global sporting events, beauty pageants, political activism and oh I forgot to mention, I was also “banker of the month“ in my previous role. Hopefully, I would leave a legacy that would serve as an inspiration and aspiration for the new generation of trans people.
"At the age of 16, I made the "biggest"
decision of my life, which was to leave
home and start my journey."
Monika: Do you remember your first show? Was it at the 'Les Girls' cabaret?
Linda: No, it wasn't Les Girls. I was asked by Cindy Pastel (the movie Priscilla, Queen of the Desert was based on her life); She asked me to perform at the Albury Hotel. I was 18, my payment was “drinks vouchers” haha… The rest is history. lol
Monika: The 'Les Girls' cabaret is famous for female impersonation shows. It hosted amazing talents from the whole of Australia, including such artists as Carlotta, Penny Clifford, and Suzie St James. Who helped you most in your career?
Linda: I have to give credit to Christy McNicol who started me off in the world of Cabaret in 1995 (I just turned 19). It was for the Playgirls show. I joined Les Girls and Carlotta’s Beautiful Boys in 1998. Suzie St James was my roommate when we toured. I guess all the ladies mentioned above were instrumental in mentoring me when I was still a teenager and in my early 20s.
Monika: Christy McNicol is one of the icons of the Australian transgender community. How did you meet her?
Linda: I think I met her through friends and she just started the cabaret show Playgirls. I believe my audition was on a podium at DCM nightclub. We went to the USA together where I did shows in LA. (This was the time when I was dating a famous musician and they were touring the USA.)
Monika: You participate in beauty contests too.
Linda: I did this year for Miss Pride Queen, my intention this time around was to be a mother figure and mentor and to reconnect with the wider LGBTQI+ community. I did win back in 2001. wink, wink, nudge, nudge.
Monika: Did anyone help you with the dress, makeup, and hairstyle?
Linda: No, lol. However, a lot of the girls did have their own glamour team. After years of experience in the show business, you get to perfect the art of hair, makeup, and styling. I even made components of my Mardi Gras parade outfit when I marched for Trans Pride Australia. I learned well from the older girls of show business. It’s an art form that is sadly not practiced these days by the new generation.
Monika: Many of us live the lives of wives, mothers, and daughters, trying to forget about our past. You have decided to be an advocate of transgender rights and be vocal about our positive image in society. Have you ever felt the temptation of being in the closet, being a woman rather than a transgender woman?
Linda: No, NEVER… At the age of 16, I made the “biggest” decision of my life, which was to leave home and start my journey. I remember running away from home and all I had was a bag with my mom's clothes (I took them from her wardrobe lol) and a huge self-belief.
I was single-minded in my decision, I was also very spiritual at that young age exploring my life’s purpose, and I had made the decision that I was not going to hide anything and was going to be out and PROUD, even though back then was a bit more challenging for us trans people.
"Supermodel Linda Evangelista visited
Australia in 1993, and I was like,
yep I’m gonna be Linda."
Monika: Why did you choose Linda for your name?
Linda: Supermodel Linda Evangelista visited Australia in 1993, and I was like, yep I’m gonna be Linda. It also means ‘beautiful’ in Spanish.
Monika: So it matches you well. We all pay the highest price for the fulfillment of our dreams to be ourselves. As a result, we lose our families, friends, jobs, and social positions. Did you pay such a high price as well? What was the hardest thing about your coming out?
Linda: I was very fortunate that none of the above happened to me, also I started my journey at 16. The most challenging was running away from home but it didn't last though as I made contact with my family the next day.
Monika: Was your family surprised by your transition?
Linda: No, I don't think so. I was always girly and effeminate.
Monika: Do you remember the moment when you came out to your mother?
Linda: Oh my mum knew since I was a little child. Mother instincts. She also mentioned her “stolen” clothes when I ran away from home. I may have taken her favourite outfits! lol
Monika: Are you satisfied with the effects of the hormone treatment?
Linda: Oh yes, started my therapy in 1991, and back then you needed to be over 18 to qualify in Australia. Because I ran away from home, my guardian at the youth refuge acted as my parent to supervise my therapy. I do miss the hormone injections though because they are no longer available in Australia.
Monika: Why not?
Linda: Oh my doctor told me that Primogen Depot (hormone injection shots) apparently cause cancer and had been discontinued. But I swear the effects of those hormone shots. I do see that product available from Indian websites though. The trans women here in Australia often talk about the hormone pellets, which are implanted in the buttocks area. Currently, I’m just on Progynova, Sandreena gel, and Androcur.
Monika: We are said to be prisoners of passing or non-passing syndrome. Although cosmetic surgeries help to overcome it, we will always be judged accordingly. How can we cope with this?
Linda: I did have breast augmentation at 19 and that's it. I never felt the need to do anything else (at this stage) each to their own I guess and if it makes you happy, go for it, no judgment.
Monika: Do you remember the first time you saw a transgender woman on TV or met anyone transgender in person that opened your eyes and allowed you to realize who you are?
Linda: When I was 15, I started considering transition but I didn't know where to start. I was always a nerd at school and spent a lot of my time at the local library, and somehow I came across “Tula’s (Caroline Cosey aka The Bond Girl) autobiography at the library (self-realization definitely began). Growing up in the Philippines, they had an annual parade of beautiful trans ladies and I knew I wanted to be like them when I grow up.
"When I was 15, I started considering
transition but I didn't know where to start."
Monika: Did you have any transgender sisters around you that supported you during the transition?
Linda: No, I didn't because I started so young I didn't know any other young transgenders at the time. I guess I've always been independent, having run away from home, so I think I've always relied on myself from a very early age.
Monika: What do you think about the present situation of transgender women in your country?
Linda: I think it is amazing, since gay marriage came through in Australia, there is a definite change in the air, big corporations have now anti-discrimination policies, all-gender toilets, etc, and also I used to be the only trans woman playing at Tennis Sydney (the biggest LGBTQI plus tennis club in the southern hemisphere), now there are 8 of us. Right now, we are not just being seen, we are not just being heard but we are being celebrated.
Monika: Do you like fashion? What kind of outfits do you usually wear? Any special fashion designs, colors, or trends?
Linda: I did when I was younger, I'm a fitness fanatic so my staple is active wear, I don't really have a lot of free time to go out (clubbing et cetera) these days as I work full time, and train 6 days a week at the gym and play sports, When I was younger I loved wearing leather and PVC. I was never girly hahaha. ALTHOUGH, during Sydney World Pride, when I celebrated for 16 consecutive days, I had 16 different looks/outfits including wigs. It is World Pride after all.
Monika: Do you often experiment with your makeup?
Linda: When I was younger, sure, especially working in the entertainment industry. These days I have no time to put make-up on daily as I will be working an average of 9 hours per day, but I have eyelash extensions, had my lips tattooed (lip blush) to make the colour redder, and eyebrow tattoo. I religiously apply sunscreen daily. The Australian sun is very harsh.
Monika: I have always wanted to have lip blushing. Are you satisfied? Would you recommend it?
Linda: Do I recommend it? For sure, my lips have always been dark. Most days I only wear lip gloss because my lips are redder. It's painful though. I'm talking about two hours of needles on my lips BUT you can always ask for numbing cream.
Monika: I remember copying my sister and mother first, and later other women, trying to look 100% feminine, and my cis female friends used to joke that I try to be a woman that does not exist in reality. Did you experience the same?
Linda: Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but their opinion is none of my business. That is my mantra if anyone has anything negative to say about me. Life is too short. 
Monika: By the way, do you like being complimented on your looks?
Linda: Who doesn't? lol… It is when a compliment is used to mask sleaziness that I don't like. People don't believe me though that I'm 50 years old.
"I used to be the only trans
woman playing at Tennis Sydney."
Monika: You look fantastic, so I am not surprised they do not believe you. Do you remember your first job interview as a woman?
Linda: Ah yes when I transitioned from entertainment to corporate in my late 20’s. In the early 2000’s I went to college to get Advanced Diploma in Marketing Management. I remember being asked about my work experience and I spoke about Les Girls… The shock on the interviewers' faces!!! Lol…
There was a time when I was working for a “global” Public Relations and Advertising firm when I was asked to take a day off because the US CEO was visiting and I couldn't be seen in the office (talk about discrimination) that was 2008. Australia has come a very long way.
Monika: It is amazing that you managed to switch from entertainment to a corporate career. The majority of girls are not so successful.
Linda: Having a tertiary education definitely helped. I guess I was methodological in my approach, transitioning from show business to corporate. I went to college to complete Advanced Diploma, I did 6 months of internship for a Government Agency and applied to hundreds of roles. HUNDREDS! lol. I never gave up. In addition, it’s quite common these days for trans people to be working in corporate environments in Australia.
Monika: When I came out at work, my male co-workers treated me in a way as if the transition lowered my IQ. Did you experience the same? Do you think it happens because we are women or because we are transgender? Or both?
Linda: No, not that way. It was the reverse though when I competed in tennis against females. I was seen as someone who had a competitive advantage. Some eyebrows were definitely raised when I won bronze and silver medals at the World Masters Games.
Monika: We still have to fight for our right to compete in women’s sports tournaments, and as you have said, we are said to have a competitive advantage. Many critics tend to overlook the fact that after hormonal therapy, the level of testosterone in our bodies is at the same level as that of a cisgender woman. How do you usually respond to such allegations?
Linda: Tennis is based on skills mostly. A lot of cis women I find have just as big of a serve or even bigger than my own, plus I'm not competing at an Elite level. Sports is such a widely debated topic in terms of trans participation. I remember having to bring documents from my endocrinologist just before I competed at the World Masters Games but no one officially questioned me. For elite contact sports, MAYBE as it is a different level altogether. This topic is a tough one and definitely controversial.
Monika: What would you advise to all transwomen looking for employment?
Linda: 20 years ago looking for employment as a transgender here in Australia was definitely a lot more challenging but I still manage to work in Public Relations, Telecommunications, and Advertising. I had a back injury and was out for 5 years and finding work was definitely challenging so I ended up cleaning toilets for a living and now I'm on a $100k role. My advice is sometimes we start from the bottom but doors will definitely open.
"I was methodological in my approach,
transitioning from show business to
corporate."
Monika: Could you tell me about the importance of love in your life?
Linda: I've been single since 2004 after a series of failed relationships, so affairs of the heart are not a priority for me. My colleagues often ask me if I had a partner, and I often tell them I have men - o - pause and their reply is Menopause??! So I say yes men-o-pause meaning I paused all the men in my life, hahaha.
Monika: Many transgender ladies write their memoirs. Have you ever thought about writing such a book yourself?
Linda: Not at this stage. I would like to think of myself as the silent achiever so I'm happy to be in the background just doing my “thing”. Caroline Cosey’s (Tula/Bond girl) was the only one I've read and she was my inspiration.
Monika: What is your next step in the present time and where do you see yourself within the next 5-7 years?
Linda: I will never stop being a warrior and love making history, my recent achievements were: being part of an all-trans women's team to ever compete at a global level in tennis as well as the first trans to compete (and be a part of the winning team) in Sydney Metropolitan LGBTQI plus softball league.
I’m also the first trans woman (train guard) for one of Australia’s biggest train networks where I run and operate trains all over the Sydney metropolitan network and I am in charge of up to 2000 people per trip, which is a huge responsibility in itself. I was also the first trans to be inducted as “banker of the month”, working for one of Australia’s biggest banks a few years ago. I’m looking forward to making more history and breaking barriers.
Monika: What would you recommend to all transgender women that are afraid of transition?
Linda: Follow your instincts pure and simple. I followed mine at the age of 16 and 34 years later definitely NO REGRETS!
Monika: My pen-friend Gina Grahame wrote to me once that we should not limit our potential because of how we were born or by what we see other transgender people doing. Our dreams should not end on an operating table; that’s where they begin. Do you agree with this?
Linda: Oh definitely!!! I live and swear by the same “Modus Operandi” Be a fearless warrior and just go for anything you are passionate about, and that's exactly what I have done and the reward is priceless, a meaningful life!
Monika: Linda, it was a pleasure to interview you. Thanks a lot!
Linda: Thank you for this opportunity, Monika! I just wanted to say you are amazing and what you are doing in terms of bringing to life the lives of these amazing trans individuals who either pioneered or made difference in this challenging world that we live in. And finally, thank you from down under!!

All the photos: courtesy of Linda Montana.
© 2023 - Monika Kowalska

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog